Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Drywall Haiku

Drywall, I love you
Holes in walls covered quickly
View of neighbours gone

Drywall is my new best friend. I know, we got off to a bad start. Day after day it would lay around waiting for me to carry it outside to the trailer and would never sweep up after itself. But so like now I’m so totally over it and we are like totally BFF’s.

So one minute I can stand in the bathroom and wave to the neighbours across the road, the next I can jig about in there to my heart’s delight without anyone knowing. Forget hugging a tree – I want to hug a wall!


Lets get the benefit of the before. Here is the new entry from the living room to the master bedroom downstairs.


And here is what a little drywall can do. Now don’t forget when putting up your drywall, you can’t skimp on screws (or nails, which is how the original drywall was attached). The inspector will be looking for screws or nails every eight inches.
Even though there are several more stages to go on from here, it instantly looks more finished. Actually, it is a pity you couldn’t get it already spackled and painted and somehow attach it without the screws showing and then it could be drywall for hopelessly busy people.


Although this picture looks much like the previous one (one of these pictures is not like the other), look closely. The edges have metal corner beading. This will not go on straight if the framing isn’t exactly straight which happened to us in some spots, we don’t know why, or why we didn’t see it earlier, or why whoever put it in didn’t get it in straight, or who put in that section, or… stop asking so many questions.

Meanwhile…


Look, the old entry from the living room is gone. It is no more.

Of course there are down sides to everything. I no longer feel like I’m in a Star Trek episode where I can pass through walls (but not fall through the floor).

2 comments:

  1. Fun post. I'm glad your relationship with the wall has improved. Everyone needs a solid, reliable wall in their life; one that they can lean on and depend on to always be there for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in this world of crumbling values and stock market indexes, we don't need crumbling walls!

    ReplyDelete