Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Born to Shop (or is that Bored?)

Ah the shopping… Looking for ideas, looking for the items to replace every fixture and fitting in the entire house.
It starts out fun but for Mrs. Remodel (who isn’t keen on shopping at the best of times) it gets old quite quickly. And there comes a point when I get decision fatigue. There are times when at the end of yet another marathon shopping expedition when I don’t even want to have to make the decision as to whether I want the receipt with me or in the bag.

We went to every DIY, tile, lighting, home dĂ©cor shop we could find. There are a lot of people in Southern California with a lot of money and some of the shops are more than ready to help them spend a good portion of their money on items that don’t seem to fully justify, in my opinion, the high price tag. Though most of these items were not particularly beachy so we were rarely disappointed to find the perfect fixture we dearly wanted cost an arm and a leg, and then another arm.




Pendant lights are back in. I liked the prices at Lowes: $22 - $40 each compared with $300 - $500 each in some shops.


We are thinking pedestal sinks since the bathrooms are quite small.


Or perhaps a freestanding sink like this one from IKEA.


A little showy for our version of beach style.


We want good flushing action with low water usage. The toilets in the house are from 1979 and 1987.




If I had a dollar for every tile design I’ve looked at I could afford to pay someone to go shopping in my place.


Does it look like sand – or is it too bland? What do I think or care after five hours of shopping?


Fans come in three groups. Completely ugly; nice until they team it with an ugly light fixture; nice with a just about bearable light fixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment