Friday, June 11, 2010

Food For Thought

One of the things I dislike about remodeling is the food. There are times of undefined length where we are eating microwave meals. Either because the kitchen is out of operation or because we are so busy right up to the time we need to eat RIGHT NOW because we are so hungry.
At times like this there is the choice of going out to eat (takes too long and really adds up when you need your money for nails, lumber etc.) or eating five-minute microwave meals.
This is better for Mr. Remodel than for me. I am a vegetarian and the availability of TV dinners for the non-meat eater is pretty slim. There’s macaroni cheese, and there’s ravioli and that’s more or less it. Interestingly, neither of these have any vegetables in them. Whereas the meat meals have stacks of veggies in them and there is a huge choice. I did recently discover another version of the ravioli dish with butternut squash instead of cheese as a filling, and a large helping of vegetables so I’ll probably go out and buy large quantities of them until I can’t face another. Costco sell a pack of ten small vegetable lasagnas, which I have eaten more of than I would care to otherwise in a six-month period, which for a while relieved the meal boredom by about 1%.
Oh okay, I’ll admit it. Since we did our last major remodel ten years ago, the average US supermarket has now dedicated half a frozen food cabinet to vegetarian ready meals. But they are small and, again, a little pricey for the size. Just because I am a vegetarian doesn’t mean I want to eat the same amount as a stick insect. And with the wads of cash I’m showering on the workmen and various home improvement shops, I don’t have $6.99 to throw away on three mouthfuls of organic frozen pasta and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment